Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Tom Petty and the Call of the Wild

                                                          Tom Petty and the Call of the Wild


Well I went to a concert on the 6th of May.  I paid for Tom Petty, but I got Joe Walsh.  When I first saw the guy, I really tried to reconcile the appearance of the elderly man I saw on the stage to the delightful bad boy, and the super hot (though hairier) yummy musical treat I had been looking forward for months to seeing.  I was a little bit crestfallen when he began to sing song after song I didn't know.  I didn't come to my grand epiphany, until Joe sang "Life's Been Good to Me".

Once I had, though, a number of things were then clear.  Joe is spry for his age, and energetic.  He hasn't lost his voice, or his showmanship.  It was a huge surprise to see him.  My best friend and I were so Tom Petty focused, we both failed to see that Joe was on the tickets, too.    Now my astonishment and embarrassment are on the blog for the wide world to discuss and enjoy.

But then, get a load of Tom, would you?  What can I say about the audience response to his taking the stage that wouldn't be trite?  The man got a standing ovation just for walking out.  Everyone went wild!  Someone once suggested that Tom Petty is a fan of his fans, and I believe it.

For two hours this divine  (and sometimes ridiculous) hippie had two thousand people singing, dancing, whistling, and hooting (that was me, because I can't do the loud whistle).  Two weeks later, I'm still smiling at the experience  of having had Tom Petty rock my world.  This post can't do justice to the evening.
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers performed at Tampa's Amalie Arena on May 6, 2017.


1 comment:

  1. Nice! I'm glad you went. Tom Petty doesn't do it for me, but Joe Walsh!!!! "Life's been good" is one of the best songs ever!

    ReplyDelete